Back to college, Uni decisions and Asthma clinic

Its been a little while since I last updated.

I started back at college for the second half of A Levels; A2 last Tuesday, the week has gone so fast and its a little bit hard to adjust to.

Chemistry has been the one with the biggest jump from AS to A2, I’ve decided that I will need to retake my AS exams in January to increase the possibility of me getting an A overall in Chemistry. I’ve been trying to do some extra work for Chemistry in addition to revising for my AS resits however mum is very unwell despite an increase in her medication and twice daily visits from the Home Intervention team, this is so upsetting and she distracts me a lot when I am trying to study so its making me feel a bit hopeless about it all.  The move to A2 in Human Biology and Sociology has been less difficult, there is just an increase in work load so far.

I had an appointment with my hospital consultant nearly 2 weeks ago (09/09) , it didn’t go so well but it was productive I guess, it was quite an early appointment – 9am! I was very sleepy and headachey because due to insomnia I didn’t go to bed til late and as a result I wasn’t exactly with it so couldn’t remember some of my meds, peak flows etc. My lung function is down from last time, he thinks that I definitely do have Anaphylaxis after a couple of occasions where I have had attacks/reactions suggestive of this so now as a result I have  2 Epi pens, (pre filled pens of Adrenaline which can be injected into your thigh if you have an episode of Anaphylaxis)  in addition to a ’emergency pack’ consisting of  Prednisolone and Antihistamines and a letter for A&E if I need to use the epi pen(s). I’ve also been started on Itraconazole, because of my allergy to Aspergillus instead of the Voriconazole which was the antifungal the other hospital wanted me to try as part of a trial but I could have been given a placebo,  the decision seemed to have been taken out of my hands and I’ve started the Itraconazole at my local hospital and he said he wanted me to come back in 2 weeks time to see him again. The Itraconazole has been making me feel a bit nauseous but other than that it has been okay I guess.

What annoyed me about clinic was that I was feeling relatively OK but other things like my oxygen sats and lung function said otherwise, I wasn’t told what my lung function values  were apart from that “it wasn’t good” and had got worse from last time which makes no sense to me. My Eczema has been kicking off a lot recently; its just horrible, I guess it is a response to all of the stress I am under at the moment as well as the typical allergickyness.  No matter how much I moisturise it with emollients and treat it with topical steroids I still feel like scratching my skin off when the initial relief wears off and then it is weeping and sticking to my jeans etc which is just not making me feel like a happy bunny at all.  😦

As mum is not well at the moment I am still uncertain about whether to apply for Medicine this year, the closing date for applications is 15th October  2010 and though I have arranged to sit the UKCAT and made a start on my personal statement I am finding myself subconsciously and to an extent consciously veering away from applying for 2011 entry. I am concerned that should I get a place to study Medicine, what if my mum is still just as difficult?, how would I be able to go? Problem is I really want to go to university as soon as possible, I have been waiting for so long, if I left it another year to 2012 that would be a whole 5 years since I should have gone to university. It’s the thing that Medicine is a 5 year course generally and I would be starting when people my age would be finishing, it just feels so weird and I feel like I have been in limbo and wasting my time in the last few years.


6 thoughts on “Back to college, Uni decisions and Asthma clinic

  1. kerri says:

    Sounds like you’ve got a lot of decisions on your plate to deal with. Best of luck, and as always, if you need somebody to sound off to, you know how to reach me <3.

  2. Emski says:

    You can always apply for 2012 entry now, so you have a place secured. Would give you longer to get things in place to make sure it all runs smoothly, and if you get a place somewhere that you then don’t want to go you can always decline it and apply for somewhere else next year? xx

  3. Becca says:

    Hey Simi
    Sounds like things are difficult *hugs*.
    I think you should apply for entry in the year *you* feel ready to go for. If that means deferring then that means deferring- by no means will you be the only one not going straight from school to uni. Medicine is such an incredibly competative course that it’s quite common to start it at an older age because some people will spend years applying and reapplying, so you won’t be the only one. In the same way if you want to go for 2011 entry, then go for it. I know it’s not in your nature to be, but I think with decisions like this you have to make yourself be a bit selfish- I know I did when I applied to uni- and go with what you want, not what anyone else wants or expects you to do.

    Take care, and if you ever need a chat you know where I am

    • Simi says:

      Hi Becca
      *hugs* thanks and the same goes for you too, really hope uni goes well for you.
      I think what you have said makes sense, I guess I just need to weigh it up. I’m not feeling very strong at the moment so maybe having a bit more time to try to make things easier before I go to uni would be the most sensible thing to do.
      Take care xxxxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s